Wednesday, January 24, 2018

What I’ll be doing to make 2018 a very good year


“When I was 17, it was a very good year”. Isn’t that always the way with a popular song archived in our memories.  Then reality waves its not so magic wand and we are brought to our senses and realise that along with the ‘very good’, were some absolutely horrendous times in our lives that we try to forget. 

As we settle in to the first months of a brand spankin’ new year, it might be helpful for us to have a master plan with a few ‘to do’ things noted. My very mild OCD compelled me to pick an even number; 4 things! Going with five, however, helps me with my own ‘to do’ list — to be less focused on ‘a place for everything and everything in it’s place’. So, 5 it is!

My free time is not always ME time. Though I am somewhat restricted with regard to getting out and about, especially in the winter months, I occupy myself with an array of mental aerobics since the physical ones are not so much a part of the landscape of my world in snowy weather. 

I am quite physically active; in fact, by virtue of constraints imposed by spastic diplegic cerebral palsy, I am possibly more physically active than lots of people. How can that be, you ask? Well, it’s simple — it takes a considerable amount of energy for me to vacuum, to dust, to keep floors clean, to look after pets, to prepare meals. The list of oft-repeated daily chores seems unending. While you may expend fifteen minutes worth of energy doing a particular task, I’d expend the equivalent of one hour of energy in the same amount of time doing the same chore. Then it’s smoothie time to replenish the reserves to carry on with my daily ‘to do’ list.
I’m all about food and healthy eating so bulk cooking and baking will always be number one for me; I’m rarely at a loss for prepared meal choices. Tonight, it’s lasagna - made, cut in portions and frozen a few weeks ago, along with a small salad and a slice of home made herb bread. As well, there’s always a slice of this and a container of that to share with my dinner and a movie pal. Spending time in my world  has expanded her palate. 

Next is keeping my home tidy and clean; I’m a room by room tidier upper, carrying all the tools for that task in a little plastic waste basket. In the bathroom, I fill the sink with hot water and liquid surface cleaner, swish cloth around and off I go, cleaning fixtures. With a 2nd cloth swished in that same hot water, I wipe the floor, from corner to corner, on my hands and knees. Nothing like giving the spine a good stretch so that I can carry on with other chores. 

As a senior with aging pets, it is important for me to ensure that my home is well maintained and pleasant for not only my enjoyment, but also for visitors. I discovered a great cleaning tip, ideal for those with aging dogs (and possibly cats) in a home that has carpeting in various areas. Mr. Digby has the occasional accident, often in the same spot that was visited by a previous canine occupant, a Cairn terrier. 

After drawing up as much of the offending liquid as I can with paper towel, under the watchful eyes of the tenacious one, I fire up the heavy artillery - a wet/dry vac. A bit of boiling water onto the spot, followed by a spritz of vinegar is sucked up; to finish, into a small plastic waste basket I blend a few shots of Tide liquid laundry detergent with really hot water, and using a brush, I clean up a D-dude piddle spot. Works like a charm. Another spritz of vinegar acts as a deterrent — most of the time. What can I say? Mr. Digby is almost 15 years old so lapses are inevitable. Cleaning up after the hairy little old man keeps me in shape, though I sometimes wonder what he’d do if I replaced the living room carpet with laminate. While I’m on my hands and knees, he can’t help wandering right in front of me to stick his tongue up my nose. I know what you’re thinking.

I should point out that I’m not one of those eccentric dog ladies whose creatures have overtaken the home. Their presence contributes to my overall health and wellness and I enjoy their daily antics — ensuring that they are healthy and happy is a duty I owe them. Having a pet to care for is therapeutic and I and the canine contingent look forward to a great 2018 here at Chez Rockwell. 


Carla MacInnis Rockwell is a freelance writer and disability rights advocate living outside Fredericton, NB with her aging Australian silky terrier and a rambunctious Maltese. She can be reached via email at carmacrockwell@xplornet.ca 


No comments:

Post a Comment