Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Addressing the needs of persons with disabilities during natural disasters



As I watch, in a deliberately limited way, the news resports of earthquakes and hurricanes battering lives, homes and busineses in various parts of the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean, my thoughts are drawn to ‘how do persons with disability cope?’ and what mechanisms are place to assist those in special/unique circumstances that preclude them fully helping themselves.

Though my experience during the 2014 Hurricane Arthur in no way compares to the trauma endured by persons with disability who are victims of Harvey, Irma,  José, and Maria, I certainly empathize with those challenged by limited mobility in the face of such unbelievably trying times. 

During the power outage caused by Hurricane Arthur, I was fortunate to have kind and generous neigbours, one of whom provided me with 2 hours daily use of his generator; he’d bring it over to my home and connect the freezer, mobility scooter and coffee maker, before moving on to share it with another neighbour for a few hours.

My reality at that time bore out literature reviews which found that persons with disability are less likely to evacuate during natural disasters. For me it wasn’t that I was unaware of services that might be available to me as one who lives with disability. It was more a case of feeling safer in familiar surroundings. My risk of falling would be significantly greater should I have relocated,  and then there was my concern with my pets. I weighed the benefits against the risks and opted to stay in place. Were I thrust into a hurricane zone, my plan of escape and protection would obviously change. 

I’m fully aware that chronic conditions — combined with the physiological, sensory, and cognitive changes experienced as part of aging — result in frail older adults having special needs during emergencies. Planning and coordination amongst public health and emergency preparedness professionals and professionals who provide services for the aging are essential to meet these special needs. Those of compromised infants, toddlers and youngsters must also be considere during a disaster.

  At the local level, various town hall meetings could be held to identify the issues and determine what mechanisms need to be put in place at a moment’s notice. Access to specialized equipment would be critical to those, both young and old using powered mobility aids, ventilators, beds and chairs.

People with disabilities often require assistance and additional lead time in order to prepare for a disaster, so if you are aware of such needs in your area, make your availability known to service agencies so that if you are able, you may offer supports to those in need.

It’s important for persons with disability to make their requirements known and not be shy about asking for help when they know they may need it — someday. It’s better to have a plan in place well before disaster strikes than wait for the day to come and not being ready  throws you into a total panic.  A network of friends, family and neighbors can assist in disaster preparations and getting you to a safe place.

Years ago, I drafted a Care of Mr. Digby document which I gave to one of my elder brothers in the event I was unable to care for the dog. He likened Mr. Digby to a small child given the detail with which I outlined the dog’s needs. I really need to update since I have a second ‘hairy child’. People should come with instructions, too.

Helpful would be to post instructions on the refrigerator outlining your daily regimen, any necessary equipment required and the names of emergency contacts. Wearing a medical alert tag or bracelet might be considered if extra care is required. Registering with local fire department or volunteer center is an added layer of protection during a disaster for the at risk person with disability, making sure to direct rescue personnel to the easiest access to your home —   if you require assistance to vacate, they can reach you. Alert them to any companion animals in the home, providing call names and name of vet and other contact persons. Ensure that leashes and other restraints are available to secure your pets for their safety.

If mobility is significantly compromised, have an escape chair, perhaps a used manual wheelchair available. If you don’t have one now, it’s something to consider  for the future. Perhaps a family Christmas gift to you and your peace of mind. Keep a flashlight, whistle or bell handy to alert personnel to your whereabouts.
Contact agencies like the Red Cross and Ability New Brunswick to find out what measures they already have in place. Public Safety Canada also has a wealth of information so that those who are or live with a person with challenges to living and safety can be educated about what to do in an emergency.

Being prepared is a way to care.


Carla MacInnis Rockwell is a freelance writer and disability rights advocate living outside Fredericton, New Brunswick with her aging Australian silky terrier and a rambunctious Maltese. She can be reached at carmacrockwell@xplornet.ca via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment