Tuesday, April 25, 2017


Recently, I visited my childhood parish priest, Father Joseph LeBlanc who now resides in a retirement complex in Fredericton. Thankfully, to cruise the halls of this well appointed home away from home catering to the needs of seniors who need that little extra somethin’ somethin’, I chose to use my little red racer aka known as the beat up bucket of nuts n bolts. Using my crutches would have been exhausting and potentially hazardous to my health, given my relationship with slippery floors is not the best.

I, in my chair, appeared at Father Joe’s door with various foodie treats ready to put into his hands. My sidekick, Sandra, who is a tremendous help to me on city excursions, carried the bags. 

After a hello and a hug, let the visit begin! As I  looked around the room, I took in the some of the memories of Father Joe’s life on display, with lots of photographs, books and figurines; a stereo system prominent. He was happy to share a bit of history about this piece or that. Noticing the lovely furniture around  his quarters, it was clear he had a good eye; the furnishings were his own, brought from his previous home. After he examined the baked goods, I put them in the fridge. He needs a bigger fridge! 

Glancing around the room, I honed in on the window — it had no blind and the curtains were sheer. I slid into home decorator mode and envisioned what I’d do to make such a space work for me and my own needs when the time comes. Immediately my thoughts went to “I could never get a good sleep in here without some serious liquid refreshment! Please, God, let them hold a Happy Hour!” Room darkening blinds and drapes work for me! Before my first night in such a well-appointed suite, I’d trek to a department store for blinds, curtains, and installation hardware. They’re allowed `cause I asked. 

Not only am I conscious of what I put in my body, I’m also aware of those things with which I surround myself to enhance quality of life. Hydrotherapy, chromotherapy, and aromatherapy are significant parts of my daily living and all are especially helpful to one who ages with the neurological insult of cerebral palsy. To turn of the ‘busy busy’ cerebral palsied brain at bedtime, I benefit from a sleep mask. Contributing to a solid, sustained sleep, it’s made a huge difference in my day to day wellness. Also helpful is that the room be as noise free as possible. The ceiling fan in my bedroom makes an awful noise so I turn it off at night. I’m too short to whack it with a hammer!

Chronic poor sleep inevitably leads to health problems so maintaining a natural rhythm of exposure to daylight, and darkness at night is an essential component of sleeping well.  
Sleep deprivation can lead to higher risk of chronic health problems like high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. According to Harvard Medical School, for people with hypertension, one night without enough sleep can cause elevated blood pressure all through the next day. Not getting enough restorative sleep also influences our appetite. Inappropriate or ill-advised food choices often stem from insufficient rest. Mindless eating is often rooted in lack of rest which sets the stage for making bad choices; conversely, having a snack before bed is encouraged by health professionals as a sleep inducer. For myself, it’s either a bowl of cereal or home made yogurt with berries. Works like a charm! 

I am fortunate not to require sleep aids in the form of medications — key for me is setting the stage for rest/sleep before I actually go to the bedroom and get into bed. After dinner, lights throughout the house are dimmed; two electric aromatherapy lamps are turned on until bedtime. During the day all is bright - the TV room/office space, where I spend most of my time has no window coverings —lots of daylight. The other common spaces have a window blinds that are never lowered — bright/airy spaces that contribute to a sense of well being. In my bedroom the blind is left lowered and the drapes drawn, as time saving measures which serve to reduce the risk of falling injury to accomodate repetitive tasks.  

So long as I live home alone in rural New Brunswick, sleeping requirements and habits will be maintained. No doubt when the time comes and a move to more ‘assisted’ living is required, productive conversations will be held with providers of care about what would be best suited to my aging in a new place, notably how to make the that beauty sleep period as beneficial as possible. With good rest, a gal will always look her best, right?


Carla MacInnis Rockwell is a freelance writer and disability rights advocate living outside Fredericton with her aging Australian silky terrier and a rambunctious Maltese. She can be reached at carmacrockwell@xplornet.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment